Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Facebook Update and Videos

Okay, so many of you have read about my Facebook woes at work. The good news is -- it appears to be getting better. The bad news? It also appears to be pointless.

Though I have yet to venture out into the world of Facebook Ads, I've been playing around with a ton of the Facebook Fan Page features. For starters, I've been using Animoto to create videos that feature some of our work and posting them on the fan page. The day after posting the videos we had 173 video views and 83 unique viewers (people who hadn't previously visited the fan page). However, we only added 3 or 4 new fans. The following day, we still had a significant number of video views (80) but only 1 new fan. I was a little disappointed.

I also tried to use the Update feature, where I could send updates to all fans at once... needless to say I don't think anyone really notices these updates (please, correct me if I'm wrong). They don't show up on your main page, they aren't in your message inbox, but instead on a separate tag under your inbox. How are people supposed to notice this?

I'm still working on the whole Facebook thing, but my excitement is dwindling. Although people are obviously visiting the page, I don't see any real signs that its improving business or even just improving customer relationships. Maybe I'm cynical, maybe I haven't given it enough time... all I know is if I were you, I wouldn't rely on Facebook for too much pr/marketing!!

Here is one of our sample videos, just for kicks:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From my experience with Facebook and other social networks, it is apparent that Facebook is to be used strictly for social needs. I don't think that the program is mature enough to be accepted as a means of pr and advertising or even job searching.
When I think of why I started to use Facebook it was because it was a strictly college social network that was a million times safer and tasteful than Myspace.
But over time, Facebook began to allow professors and high schoolers to join and it started to lose its magic in my opinion.
I do believe that the Facebook creators are trying to expand the capabilities of the network in regards to a more professional connection site, but I just don't think it's going to happen for them.