Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wiki's Implications for Public Relations Practices

Prior to class discussion I knew very little about wikis and all the ways they can be used. I'd never really thought about how important they are for someone in the PR profession.

In one sense, it makes the job of PR professionals a little bit easier. If negative information is posted about a client on a wiki it can easily be edited or removed. Using RSS feeds and readers, someone can easily "clean-up" their image with the click of a few buttons. It allows someone the ability to correct faulty information sometimes within moments of it coming into existence.

Unfortunately, it works in the opposite direction as well. Where as previously it took more effort for someone to post inaccurate or incriminating information about someone, it is now easier and quicker. PR professionals have most likely come to find that they have more information to sift through than before.

I also find it interesting to think about all the ethical implications of wikis and a company/individuals ability to alter the information pertaining to them that exists on the web.

It makes me wonder what I would do if I were in the public eye and found information posted about me on a wiki that I did not like. It would be instinct to want to correct the information or remove it... but what if the comment being made is true? Is it okay to tamper with the truth just because its undesirable? What would you do?

Where is the line drawn between managing your personal identity and behaving unethically?

1 comment:

a.paz said...

Shannon, I am also interested in this topic. I mean, do you think the day will come, when you might as well put a url to your google results of your name in your resume? I hear about people enhancing their own resumes all the time, is enhancing the internet background of your name just the same? Hah, something interesting to think about, right?!